I hosted a parliamentary drop in session for the CO Be Alarmed! Campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by poisonous gases.
I have been a long-time supporter of the campaign to improve gas safety and raise awareness of carbon monoxide; I helped local campaigner Stacey Rodgers set up the Dominic Rodgers Trust following the tragic loss of her son to carbon monoxide poisoning from a neighbours’ faulty boiler. Over the years, we have seen improved awareness of safety including a greater prevalence of life-saving alarms but the work must continue to bring the number of these entirely preventable deaths down to zero.
Carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste and the only way for people to protect themselves is by installing an audible alarm. The Carbon Monoxide- Be Alarmed! Campaign is a national attempt to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide. Since 2008, this campaign has raised greater awareness of the dangers and encouraged people to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.
There is a simple ABC check that can be done in order to ensure your CO alarms are safe and effective:
- Do you have an Alarm fitted?
- Have you tested it and are the Batteries working?
- Have you had an up to date gas Check?